Every baker has their one staple, always-go-to, never-fail recipe. For me, that recipe would have to be vanilla cupcakes with butter cream icing. It’s one to which extra ingredients can be added to make a more decadent cupcake, one that is so simple yet so delicious, one which can be prepared in a short amount of time which is especially important during midnight cravings, one which can be decorated depending on the occasion, and one which is created using minimal ingredients which is perfect if baking supplies are lacking.
My favourite version of this recipe is the one I came across in a Woolworths Fresh magazine some years ago, and it’s been used countless times since.
1. Preheat oven to 200ºC (180ºC fan forced) and line a muffin tray with paper cases.
2. Combine 1 ¾ cups self-raising flour and 2/3 cup caster sugar in a large bowl.
3. Whisk 125g butter (melted and cooled), 2 eggs, ½ cup milk and 1 tsp vanilla extract in a jug.
4. Add butter mixture to flour mixture and gently stir until combined.
5. Divide batter evenly between paper cases and bake for 15 – 20 minutes, testing with a skewer.
6. For the butter cream icing, use an electric mixer to beat 250g butter until pale. Gradually add 3 cups icing sugar and beat constantly until combined, light and fluffy.
7. Spread or pipe icing onto cooled cupcakes and decorate as desired.
8. Stuff your face with as many cupcakes as you can! =)